Trash truck catches fire
KINGMAN – The City of Kingman recently had a solid waste truck catch fire, due to hot ashes being inappropriately disposed of in a residential trash container. This fire results in a brand new $340,000 solid waste truck being put out of service for months until appropriate repairs can be made. The driver escaped without any injuries.
Kingman Assistant Public Works Director Jack Plaunty said, “When people put hot embers into solid waste containers, those hot ashes can ignite within a solid waste vehicle posing a serious hazard to our team members and causing thousands of dollars in damage.”
The City of Kingman is reminding area residents, do not put hot ashes in solid waste containers, because they could melt the container, may cause fires, or damage city solid waste vehicles; please extinguish your ashes safely. The Kingman Fire Department recommends that ashes be placed in a large galvanized metal container where they are allowed to cool for at least 48 to 72 hours. When they are completely cool, they may be placed in your solid waste container.